Jakarta and its surrounding areas were shaken by earthquake on Tuesday, 23th January 2018. People temporarily halted their activities and flood the road to evacuate.
Nobody can predict where the next earthquake will happen, and not all of us are trained to face this special situation. Therefore, to make us more prepared when the ground begins to shake again, below are a series of tips keep you and your loved ones safe during this time of uncertainties
- Stay in the building. Do not evacuate
- Drop and take shelter under tables, desks, in doorways and similar places. Keep away from overhead fixtures, windows, filing cabinet, bookcases. Cover your head and neck with your arms. Hold the position until the ground stops shaking
- Assist any disabled persons in the area and find a safe place for them
- If you are outside, stay outside. Move to an open area away from buildings, trees, power lines, and roadways.
- Check for injuries. If qualified, give first aid; otherwise, seek help
- Check for safety hazards: fire, electrical, gas leaks, water supply, etc. Coordinate with your supervisor and begin turning off all potentially hazardous equipment such as gas and electric appliances
- Do not use telephone, including cellular/mobile phones. Keep them open for emergency use
- Be prepared for aftershocks
- Cooperate, keep informed and remain calm
- Do not return to a building unless told to do so by the authority
If Evacuation is Ordered
- Seek out any disabled or injured persons in the area and give assistance. Exit using stairway. Do not use elevators
- Beware of falling debris or electrical wires as you exit
- Go to an open area away from buildings, trees, power lines and roadways
- Wait for further instructions from emergency personnel
Following are several important numbers for you to note:
- Jakarta Siaga, 112
- Firefighters, 113
- Ambulance, 118
- Police, 110
- Zurich Indonesia Customer Care Center, 1500-987
Most importantly, stay alert and stay safe!